Surly Karate Monkey MDS Frameset (Spray Tan)
Estimated Shipping Widget will be displayed here! (with custom color)
The Surly Modular Dropout System, or MDS if you’re into the whole brevity thing, gives you the choice between horizontal, standard vertical or a 12x142 thru-axle. Framesets ship with all three chips while the complete bike will only come with the direct-mount Shimano thru-axle option. We’ve also strayed from our usual finish option of solid powder coat colors and have instead opted for a translucent powder coat. This finish is far cooler because it gives you a window into the “soul” of the frame. Yes, you can see right down to the metal- and that’s pretty Metal. If you guessed that we took what was already a versatile and capable 29” trail bike and made it even more versatile and more capable, then you’d be exactly correct. Good work, smart guy.
- Tubing - Surly 4130 CroMoly steel. Main triangle double-butted. TIG-welded . ED Coated (black model only).
- Rear Dropouts - Surly Modular Dropout System gives you the option of 142 x 12 thru axle (Shimano Direct Mount derailleur hanger [axle included]), 10mm QR geared, or singlespeed
- Brake Compatibility - 51mm IS disc mounts front and rear
- Braze-ons/extras - Dual water bottle mounts, Surly Trip Guides for continuous brake and derailleur housing
- Seatpost diameter - 27.2mm
- Seatpost clamp diameter - 30.0mm (Surly stainless included)
- Headset/Steertube - 44mm ID. Recommend EC44 lower cups. Zero Stack on top is o.k.
- Front Derailleur Clamp Diameter - 28.6mm (high-direct) adaptor included
- Bottom bracket shell - 73mm wide, standard English threading (1.37˝ x 24t)
- Chainring Clearance - 24/36/48t
- Tire Clearance - 29 x 2.55˝ knobbies. Individual tire and rim combos affect tire clearance
- Fork - 1-1/8 to 1.5 tapered steerer, Fox Float, 32mm 100mm travel; 15mm thru-axle mount