Surly Steamroller Frameset (Monkey Butt Red)
You may be thinking, “Fixies are so 2008” or “All the blogs I read say I should like something different now.” Well, the Steamroller is different. Built for the streets, it has a geometry that’s closer to that of a road bike than a true track bike. Couple that with its double-butted 4130 CroMoly steel construction and 38c tire clearance and you have yourself a lively and resilient ride that can handle potholes, grass shortcuts, urban trails, and back alleys like a champ. You need only peruse the Steamroller Image Dump to see just how versatile such a simple machine can be.
As one of the first models we ever produced, the Steamroller is truly like a member of the family. And we’re talking one of the ones we actually like, not your weird Uncle Norman that insists on showing you his magic tricks while always finding a way to ruin Thanksgiving. It was our innate fondness for it that prompted us to bring it back as a complete bike after only offering a frame and fork option for a couple of years. The Steamroller complete is done up right with durable parts that can take some abuse. It’s even spec’d with a flip flop hub and front and rear rim brakes if you find that freewheeling is more your style.
The Steamroller has become a favorite for many a bike nerd over the years, and for good reason. It’s versatile, simple, and smoother than a swig of whiskey in winter on all sorts of terrain.
- Tubing - Surly 4130 CroMoly steel. Main triangle is double-butted. TIG-welded. ED Coated
- Rear Dropouts - Investment cast Surly track dropouts, 120mm spaced
- Brake Compatibility - Standard reach road calipers, but there are no stops for housing
- Braze-ons/extras - Eyelets on the rear dropouts and one set of water-bottle mounts on the seattube ’cause we’re not camels
- Seatpost diameter - 27.2mm
- Seatpost clamp diameter - 30.0mm Surly stainless, included
- Headset/Steerer Tube - EC34/28.6 upper, EC34/30 lower
- Bottom Bracket Shell - 68mm wide, threaded English 1.37˝ x 24t
- Chainring Clearance - Heavy manipulation of the chainstays gives room for a 50t ring while maintaining chainline. Track crank-compatible
- Tire Clearance - Room for tires up to 700c x 38mm. Individual tire and rim combos affect tire clearance, but figure on being able to use tires up to 32mm with fenders (p.s. use clip-on fenders)
- Fork - 4130 CroMoly, lugged and brazed flat crown that is drilled to accept a standard mid-reach (47–57mm) caliper brake. It has clearance for 700c x 38mm tires. There are no eyelets at the dropouts
|Seat Tube Length
|Top Tube Length
|Effective Top Tube Length
|Head Tube Angle||72.5||73.0||73.5||74.0||74.0|
|Seat Tube Angle||74.5||74.0||73.5||73.0||73.0|
|Head Tube Length||83.0||109.0||136.0||163.0||196.0|